Cleansing has become pretty trendy in the wellness world of late. While I don’t advocate juice fasts or intermittent fasting, I do believe in giving our bodies – and particularly our livers – a much-needed break. Rather than adopting an extreme regimen, my signature JSHealth three-day cleanse shows you a much gentler approach. I personally follow this cleanse several times a year and advocate it to anyone who’s looking to reset their mind, body and energy. I’ve seen some incredible results; I’m talking clearer skin, restored energy, deeper sleep and less fatigue. Generally, three days is a good amount of time to kick-start your digestive system and replenish your energy. If you feel good and want to continue, I recommend making this a five-day cleanse.
JSHEALTH 3-DAY SEASONAL CLEANSE
STEP 1: Change up your diet:
Here’s my nutrition guide:
- Good-quality protein: sustainable fish and biodynamic chicken and organic, free-range eggs
- Green veggies: zucchini, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts and broccolini
- Fresh fruit: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Citrus fruits: lemons, limes and grapefruit
- Gluten-free grains: quinoa and brown rice
- Nuts: almonds, Brazil nuts and cashews
- Herbs: parsley, mint, basil and rosemary
- Spices: turmeric, Organic cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- Seeds: ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds
- Good fats: extra-virgin olive oil and coconut oil
- Herbal tea: dandelion, rooibos, peppermint and chamomile
- Red meat
- Refined sugar and sweeteners
- Processed and packaged foods
STEP 2: Create positive lifestyle habits:
- Move your body: Aim for 30 to 45 minutes each day. Alternate between walking, yoga and Pilates.
- Drink water: Aim for two to three litres of water each day. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for extra cleansing and better digestion.
- Get more sleep: Commit to eight hours of sleep each night. Try to get to bed early, too.
- Rest more: Every day, set aside 10-20 minutes for replenishment. Have a warm bath, read your favourite book, meditate or try deep belly breathing.
Supplement: Consider brassica sprout powder and magnesium glycinate under the guidance of a medical practitioner. These promote liver detoxification and help to flush your system.
STEP 3: Detox your environment:
Next up, it’s time to look at other factors that might be adding extra strain to your liver. Here are some tips to reduce exposure to toxins:
- Use aluminium-free deodorant
- Buy organic where possible
- Wash and peel your veggies to remove pesticides
- Get a good-quality water filter
- Get a stainless steel or glass drinking bottle
- Reduce your plastic usage or better yet, eliminate plastic altogether!
- Introduce glass jars for food storage
- Eliminate chemical-laden products such as moisturisers, perfumes and fake tan
- Swap to eco-friendly cleaning products
Jessica Sepel is a clinical nutritionist, best-selling author, international health blogger and the beloved voice behind JSHealth and @jshealth. She is passionate about helping people overcome fad dieting and disordered eating, having gone through her own struggles with food. Her philosophy is focused around balance, rest and building a healthy relationship with food. She recently launched the JSHealth App, which features a world-first nutrition clinic, hundreds of healthy recipes, a daily meal planner, health guides, body love support and much more.